We have an open role for a talented mid level Copywriter to join our growing in-house creative team. As one of our copywriting experts, you’ll be writing engaging copy in our distinctive brand tone for a range of marketing assets including website, videos, blog, newsletters, social media, product, and search engine marketing among other things. This position requires a high level of creativity and a proven track record of producing creative and compelling copy that increases engagement and drives sales.
Sitting within the Brand & Communications team, as Copywriter, you will work closely with the Brand, Growth, Product, and Customer Operations teams to meet marketing briefs to help drive the company mission. You will work across a diverse range of projects and channels and will be as comfortable writing short and long copy for digital as you are in print, outdoor, social, digital display, email and web. It will be your role to ensure our brand is distinct across formats and channels, maintaining consistency and brand tone of voice. You will also be central to the successful development and execution of iconic content and campaigns that make Yoco famous. On a daily basis you will be part of building the brand that serves over 100,000 small businesses across South Africa.
ROLE | WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING?
- Partner with our brand, growth, and design teams to write clear and compelling copy that builds the brand through tone, style, story and content across multiple channels
- Write persuasive, compelling copy that makes the complicated sound intriguing and the simple sound smart
- Own the evolution of brand tone and voice
- Work across all customer touch points to deliver on marketing briefs on time and with exceptional standards of execution and attention to detail
- Use SEO best practices to write copy that raises our online rankings and drives traffic to yoco.com
- Work collaboratively in a team with graphic designers, art directors and other external and internal creative partners to conceptualize and execute iconic campaigns and content that makes Yoco famous
- Be autonomous. Work independently, and manage multiple projects under minimal supervision and be accountable for the quality of your work.
IDEAL CANDIDATE | WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR?
Yoco encourages applications from people with diverse backgrounds. We value inclusive working practices and diverse teams. If you’d prefer to work part-time or as a job-share, we’ll facilitate this wherever we can. If you need adjustments to our interview process, please let us know.
- You have at least 4+ years experience as a marketing copywriter (with experience in both brand and SEO copywriting).
- You can speak and write proficiently in both English and isiXhosa and/or isiZulu
- You can demonstrate an exceptional diverse portfolio of relevant work that spans both long and short form writing across various brands, both large and small.
- You possess an irreverent sense of humour and sharp wit.
- You are someone who loves words and wields them well. Storytelling is your forte, yet you appreciate brevity and can skillfully execute on it.
- You have creative flexibility in abundance —you can flex your writing and adjust your language and tone based on your audience.
- You have an ability to push a brand forward with fresh, evolving, creative ideas.
- You are a strong presenter who can articulate ideas clearly and passionately; not just on the page, but also in person.
- You own, have owned or have worked for a small business in South Africa, and understand the daily entrepreneurial hustle.
- You are a champion for great copywriting and best practices with the rest of the team and organisation.
THE YOCO FORMULA - HOW WE CREATE VALUE
Our values and principles define how we work together, and how we grow.
Core Values - how we do our work
- Stay connected
- Make space to explore
- Keep it simple
- Master your craft
Leadership Principles - how we show up, engage and treat each other
- Get to know each other personally
- Say what you think and challenge me directly
- Be courageous and focus forward
- Don’t let ego get in the way
To support this, we have built a role-based organisation where every individual is given the space to focus and develop their innate strengths. Everyone at Yoco has the opportunity to lead a project and become a specialist, enabling flexibility, collaboration and accountability at all levels. You will be working with a diverse, motivated and skilled team who will continuously stretch you as an individual. To learn more about our culture, go to our #YocoLife page or subscribe to our Exposure Gallery
Join us on a meaningful journey at Yoco, and help enable our merchants to thrive through Open Commerce!
Open positions at Yoco are competitive and we often receive high volumes of applicants. If you have not received further updates on your application after three weeks, you’re welcome to request feedback.