Without aesthetic, design is either the humdrum repetition of familiar cliches or the wild scramble for novelty” Paul Rand
We have an open role for a Design Lead to grow and develop our exceptional team of in-house designers within the Brand & Growth Marketing functions. You'll be part of building the brand that serves over 100,000 small businesses across South Africa.
At Yoco, we believe that good design is good business, and that design will increasingly be the silent ambassador of our brand. We have seven design principles that guide our work:
1.Yoco design inspires; 2. Yoco design is collaborative; 3. Yoco design is original; 4. Yoco design is honest & simple; 5. Yoco design is thorough; 6. Yoco design is sustainable; 7. Yoco design is systematic
As Design Lead, you will live these principles on a daily basis and constantly drive their evolution. This position requires an exceptional designer, a clever problem solver, a helpful mentor, a team player, and a skilled communicator — all rolled into one. Your responsibility will be to lead, develop and build a team where learning and growing together within the design field is at the core. We work across the latest platforms, covering web and mobile experiences, visual design, experiential installations, photography, video, and animation. You will work closely with our Product Design Lead to establish and nurture a scalable community of practice for all designers within Yoco, with shared rituals that encourage consistently excellent design, skill sharing and development.
Yoco is a remote-first company, and will accept applications from anywhere. Preference will however be given to an individual who is either from South Africa, or who has lived in South Africa for an extended period of time, to enable their ability to understand the context and empathise with our customers.
ROLE | WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING?
- Set the design standards. Increasingly evolve Yoco into a design-led company through mastery and excellence, leading the way on design systems and best practices.
- Work with Design Operations to scale design capacity in marketing using tools, processes, structure and ways of working.
- Work with Art Directors, Designers, copywriters and creators to bring to life content and campaigns that make Yoco iconic.
- Manage designers, and lead the creation of the processes to grow the design team through hiring, training and internships.
- Nurture a scalable community of practice for all designers across Product (UX/UI) and Marketing.
- Advocate for new design-driven approaches and improve working practices by keeping yourself and the rest of the team up to date with the latest practices and technologies in design.
- Work within small multi-disciplinary teams and partner closely with engineering, product, and data folks to find elegant yet practical solutions to design challenges.
- Be autonomous. Work independently, and manage multiple projects under minimal supervision and be accountable for the quality of your work.
IDEAL CANDIDATE | WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR?
Yoco encourages applications from people with diverse backgrounds. We value inclusive working practices and diverse teams. If you’d prefer to work part-time or as a job-share, we’ll facilitate this wherever we can. If you need adjustments to our interview process, please let us know.
- At least eight to ten years of marketing and communications design experience, spanning multiple brands, channels and disciplines.
- You have an exceptional design portfolio that demonstrates genuine hands-on design leadership across both digital and offline channels.
- You have a successful track record leading and building teams. You inspire passion, dedication, and exceptional work from others.
- You own, have owned, or have worked for a small business in South Africa, and understand the daily entrepreneurial hustle.
- You have built design systems that scale, and been at the forefront of rebrands and brand refreshes.
- You’re passionate about inclusive design and accessibility, and you’ll design with all our customers in mind.
- You have advanced knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, specifically InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Excellent print and and video production knowledge
THE YOCO FORMULA - HOW WE CREATE VALUE
Our values and principles define how we work together, and how we grow.
Core Values - how we do our work
- Stay connected
- Make space to explore
- Keep it simple
- Master your craft
Leadership Principles - how we show up, engage and treat each other
- Get to know each other personally
- Say what you think and challenge me directly
- Be courageous and focus forward
- Don’t let ego get in the way
To support this, we have built a role-based organisation where every individual is given the space to focus and develop their innate strengths. Everyone at Yoco has the opportunity to lead a project and become a specialist, enabling flexibility, collaboration and accountability at all levels. You will be working with a diverse, motivated and skilled team who will continuously stretch you as an individual. To learn more about our culture, go to our #YocoLife page or subscribe to our Exposure Gallery
Join us on a meaningful journey at Yoco, and help enable our merchants to thrive through Open Commerce!
Open positions at Yoco are competitive and we often receive high volumes of applicants. If you have not received further updates on your application after three weeks, you’re welcome to request feedback.